• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Anisocoria (unequal sized pupils) - should I be worried?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Potter McPete

Greenlighter
My right pupil is noticably (to me) smaller than my left. This is consistant when the pupils dilate and constrict.

I have read that it is very rare to have this symptom (about 3% of the population have it), unless it is a symptom of some other problem. Naturally this concerns me.

I think there is at least 1mm difference in the sizes of the pupils. Both pupils seem to react normally to light, i.e. neither seems to work less well than the other.

I know I can be quite a hypochondriac so I don't want to see the doctor if it's just me worrying about something silly as usual, but would like some advice if other people have experience with this.

Thanks.

i think youll be fine. did you ever slam your head really hard into anything? like the dash in a car crash? that can do it from what i gather.

Probably not, mine are always this way, but it's a slight thing. If one was huge and the other tiny I'd probably see a doctor.

i think youll be fine. did you ever slam your head really hard into anything? like the dash in a car crash? that can do it from what i gather.
I once cracked my head pretty hard on the road, when I was drunk and messing around. I got concussion, fairly mild I think as all I suffered from was confusion for about 10 minutes or so. Stupidly I didn't go to the doctors, and instead went on a load of rollercoasters the next day. I guess I was quite reckless back in those days 8) To be honest though I felt fine and I don't think it was a serious injury.

I once also smacked my head reasonably hard falling out of a tree onto the grass. I guess I probably had a very mild concussion then too. I've never kncoked myself out though.

I still don't know whether to see a doctor about it :\

I asked a doc friend and she said almost 1/4 of the population has uneven pupils, to some extent.

Here is also a pretty extensive link.

In the US, physiologic anisocoria is believed to occur in about 20% of the population. This is what I tell my patients. (I just looked it up too). Review childhood photos to see if it is congenital. If this is something new, then see an ophthalmologist to have an evaluation.

i have this going on with my pupils as well, but it wasn't untill after i did shrooms the first time (nov 2007). its only slight and on the left eye, it usually gets really big when im high

Status
Not open for further replies.